Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nov. 26, 2011

We just got a hand written letter in the mail from Ty today.  Here is what he has to say:

So my new companions are Elder Lubina and Elder Simon.  I am the only white guy in the threesome.  Elder Lubina is half Filipino and Elder Simon is from Kiribati near the Fiji islands and doesn't speak any English.  I've learned a lot from them.  I've gained a testimony of how God knows not only where you need to go, but also who you need to be with.  From Elder Jacobsen I really learned that it's not about us, it's about God and if we're having trials and being obedient then that means that God is preparing miracles for us.  From Elder Acosta I learned that tracting 5 hours a day might not be the most effective thing.  haha.  But in all seriousness, that was in the summer and he was a big guy and so I learned that by sacrifice comes blessings.  From Elder Oliver I learned that making an impression and looking your part are actually really important.  From Elder Pound I learned tha being an example is good; being an example with words is better, but being an example, speaking up and showing love is the best.  From Elder Gillespie I learned that a companionship doesn't work when you think you own 50% of the responsibility...you must own a 100% or you both fail.  From Elder Schitties I learned to really love my investigators.  From Elder Jorgensen I learned how to be diligent and the importance of setting goals and then working as hard as you can to accomplish them, then sitting back and seeing the hand of God do the rest.  From Elder Crandall I learned that testimony is important, but testimony combined with scriptures is powerful.  From Elder Saloman I learned the importance of stepping into ones shoes and there is never a reason to be angry.  From Elder Kurtz I learned how to have a greater desire to answer ones concerns and how to discern a concern from an argument.  From Elder Jones I learned that first impressions are crucial, that being organized is Godliness, and the importance of expressing gratitude.  From Elder Lubina I've learned that teaching an investigator is a lot more effective when you know an investigator.  From Elder Simon I've learned that God blesses those that are humble and have a grand desire.  I am so grateful for all the comps that I've had and the things they've taught me.  There is no other place that I could have learned these lessons than in the mission field.  But, Mom, I am so immensely grateful for you.  From pictures, to cards, to counsel, you've changed my mission.  You helped me understand that it wasn't my companions I had problems with; it was me.  You helped me realize that obedience to the gospel is not what brings happiness, but that through becoming like Christ though his gospel is truly what brings joy.  For without Christ the gospel is a set of rules, but with Him it's a manner of life that prepares us for the life which is Eternal.  You taught me that being grateful without expressing gratitude is in vain; for much like a testimony; without action it cannot grow.  Like Dad says... if you're not progressing than you digressing.  I love you so much Mom and thank you for everything you do!  Have a Happy Thanksgiving! 
Love,
Elder Ty Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment